Here are some alarming statistics you may or may not know about:
- Hysterectomy is the second most common surgery among women in the United States
- By age 70, one out of three American women will have had a hysterectomy
- 90% of these surgeries are done to remove fibroids (non-cancerous tumors found in the uterus)
- The average lifespan following accidental morcellation of sarcoma is only 24-36 months
- Only 15% of woman who have leiomyosarcoma (LMS) that has spread (stage IV) will be alive after 5 years
- Women with sarcoma who are morcellated are about four times more likely to die from sarcoma than if they had not been morcellated
If you or a loved one has undergone a hysterectomy and has been affected by a power morcellation device, you may want to check out the following link for more information: http://www.recallcenter.com/power-morcellator/lawsuit.